More Space, More Exercise

Alyssa Soto, Reporter

Since the wrestling room was moved to the field house, administration decided to make the old wrestling room into an extension on the weight room

The idea of the extension on the weight room was “a collective idea between the coaches, building director, the principal, and myself,” said athletic director Gary McChalicher.

New equipment that’s in the extended weight room is all donated. It came from the Prince Athletic Association because the school submitted a request for the donation.

McChalicher said that the equipment is used for “Getting stronger and to get into better shape.”

The old wrestling room was changed because they decided that they could use space in the fieldhouse for the new wrestling room.

Since the size of the weight room was extended and there is new equipment, gym teacher Amy Fisher said, “I think it’s great that we’re able to increase the size of our weight room in order to accommodate our classes and all of the students who use the weight room after school.”

The extension allows more space for the students and more equipment.

Gym teachers find this new space and equipment useful. Sports performance teacher Stephen Hafele said, “I have made use of the space by having students from larger classes go down to the new equipment and perform their workouts of the day. Greater participation, and less standing around.”

There are six more additional stations for others to be working out at, which allows for greater participation

Teachers and students are making good use of the new equipment. Instead of standing around waiting for their turn, students can now do workouts at the same time as everyone else.

It also gives the teacher less stress on whether or not the students will finish their workouts for the day.

This equipment is very useful and effective. Hafele said “I have made use of the new equipment by having an exercise circuit. Students perform exercises for thirty seconds at a time and rotate to a new station. I was able to have students squat, bench press, and perform pull-ups all at once.”

When there was only one weight room, students would run out of time and not be able to finish their whole workout since there was not enough equipment for everyone to exercise at the same time.

It has also improved teacher’s abilities to teach. “I believe that it has improved my ability to teach. For example, I can have students engage in a mirroring technique. I would demonstrate the exercise at one station, while five students can be practicing the same movements around me. I would be able to give feedback and watch for the corrections being made,” said Hafele.