Have you heard of Dollars for Scholars?

Adam Steiner, Editor-in-Chief

South Eastern Dollars for Scholars (SEDFS) is an organization that awards a number of different scholarships to students in this school district, and the application deadline is rapidly approaching.

Any students currently enrolled in South Eastern School District (SESD), may create an account on the SEDFS website, which can be found here.

For students in the class of 2018, the deadline for the application process to SEDFS is March 12, so any interested students should begin the application process as soon as possible.

Students who wish to apply need to have their students transcript (which they can obtain from guidance) an official letter of recommendation, as well as parent/guardian consent.

The application process also requires students to complete a variety of informative questions, including things such as address, race, and class rank, as well as identify up to three colleges of interest as well as identify a major. Students should also be prepared to complete two essays.

These essays ask students to discuss their future goals as well as a second that asks students to relate an unusual circumstance in their lives.

“I did the essays, and my mom helped me fill out the other stuff. It wasn’t hard at all; you only had to write two essays, which isn’t bad at all. Filling out all the stuff was probably time consuming; I only did some of that, so I’m not sure. Other than that, it wasn’t bad at all. It’s definitely something everybody should do,” said senior Blaine Phillips.

That being said, some individuals are struggling to find the time needed to sit down and complete the SEDFS application. “I haven’t had time; I’ve been working a lot and trying to work on homework, but I’m planning on doing it, so it’s easier to get a scholarship” said senior Marissa Leininger.

Students seeking information about SEDFS can reach out to the guidance office, contact SEDFS directly at [email protected], or follow them on twitter at @sedfscholars.

Adult volunteers of the school district, along with the President, Guidance Counselor Janice Bowman and the Vice President, parent Charlotte Utter manage SEDFS.

“In addition to working with KD Guidance and the class advisors, we have three student representatives on the board. Not only do they offer insightful suggestions and feedback, but they also help spread the word among their class. Currently serving on the board are Freshman Cross Lawrence, Sophomore Garrett Kilgore, and Junior Faith Warner.” said Bowman.

All of the funds that SEDFS utilizes come from donations from the community, along with the three fundraisers that they have throughout the year: a fall adult bus tour, breakfast with Santa, and then a designer bag and basket bingo in March.

The designer bag and basket fundraiser is taking place this year on March 23, and anyone may purchase the tickets from the main office or by contacting two volunteers: Conni (717-891-8132) or Denise (717-495-1349). Tickets cost $20 per person if they are purchased before the event, and they cost $25 if purchased at the door.

However, SEDFS is still working to get their name out there, considering that a large portion of the student body seems unaware that the organization exists.

They are working closely with the guidance office to make students aware of the opportunities that they are trying to provide. The organization also has an array of social media platforms that they utilize, such as Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.

Members of the committee are hoping students help spread the word through social media as well. “Wouldn’t it be great if KD students also sent the attached image out as their Snapchat streaks, too?!” said Utter.

SEDFS have been handing out pens, post-it notes, and magnets with their name on it in an attempt to get the word out.

When asked on how SEDFS has the ability to grant such large amounts of scholarships to SESD students, Utter said: “Many of the scholarships administered through South Eastern Dollars for Scholars are made possible only by the generous donations of families, individuals, businesses and nonprofit organizations who value education for the South Eastern community.”

SEDFS is currently in search of volunteers, and anyone who is interested in supporting them may reach out to them at the e-mail provided below or by contacting SEDFS member Pat Birley at 717-382-4306.Last year alone, SEDFS awarded fifty scholarships, which totaled to $67,650. Of their entire time in existence, SEDFS has awarded over 670 scholarships worth an amount of approximately $730,000, all to students within the school district.