• October 18Senior Night Football Game this Friday, ceremony starts at 6:30, game at 7

• November 29Follow us on Twitter: KDnewspaper

The Ram Page

Filed under Showcase, Sports

District Qualifiers Pep Rally Success

Leonard and Day prepare for tip-off.

On February 21, students held a pep rally in the gym to support the three winter sports teams that made district playoffs. Basketball (boys and girls), bowling, and the wrestling team all made district playoffs.

Students came to Principal Heather Venne to ask to have a pep rally in order to support this sports accomplishment.

Each district qualifying team went into the gymnasium and each head coach talked about the season they had.

The bowling team came out first and head coach Joel Logan talked a little about the team and the season that they had. Then, the wrestling team came out and their coach did the same.

Third, the boys basketball team came out and their head coach Jacob Roupe pumped up the crowd for the district game on February 22. Last but not least, head coach Robert Rudisill had some encouraging words to say about the girls basketball team and their season.

The boys basketball team’s regular season record this season was 17-5, and the girls basketball team’s regular season record was 13-9. The bowling team’s regular season record was 3-2, and the wrestling team’s regular season record was 11-5.

After students and staff cheered on each team, the main entertainment was a game of basketball between teachers and students. Some of the teachers on the team included: gym teacher Laura Gilkey, former basketball coach Grant Leonard, Athletic Director Gary McChalicher, and math teacher Eric Updegrove.

Some of the student basketball players included: seniors John Enders, James Lippiard, Alexis Youngblood, Kayla Wisnom and junior Jordan Day.

Since this was a student scheduled event, senior Adam Freese commentated the game and seniors Craig Potts and Donnell Williams were the referees.

While both teams played with vigor, the teachers maintained the lead the entire time, with a final score of 31-20, teachers.

The band performed and excited the crowd.

Wrestling differs from basketball in terms of how the district playoffs are structured. In wrestling, individual players go to district playoffs, not the whole team.

This year in bowling, only an individual player moved on to district playoffs. In bowling, there are almost two different district playoffs; there is a district playoff for teams and a district playoff for individual bowlers.

On March 2, junior Takoda Stike will bowl in the Eastern PA Regional Championship.