Alumni Kyle Reuter Runs for Public Office

Alumni Kyle Reuter has become involved in a number of significant events after his graduation from the school, most notably running for local public office.

Reuter graduated in 2011, and went on to attend Temple University earning a degree in criminal justice with a minor in history.

Kyle Reuter

“I chose Criminal Justice because Temple has a really good program, and because I took a general class my freshman year there on Criminal Law and was very interested in it,” he said.

After his graduation, Reuter took a year off in order to determine what he wanted to do next; he ended up deciding to attend law school at Widener Law Commonwealth.

Reuter began his law schooling in the fall of 2016, and will graduate in May of 2019. According to Reuter, one does not study a specific kind of law in law school, but he hopes to practice criminal law upon his graduation.

In the meantime, he is currently interning at the District Attorney (D.A) Dave Sunday’s office. Reuter began his internship in January; he earned the internship by applying for the position at the end of last year.

When asked about what he does at the D.A.’s office, Reuter replied with “Mainly, I do research on different topics and write briefs, and then do different courtroom procedures like handling probation violations, summary court appeals, pre-trial conferences, and other procedures in the criminal justice system.”

Last summer, Reuter participated in an internship  with the United States Department of Agriculture (U.S.D.A.) at a field office in Harrisburg, completing a number of administrative tasks.

This year, Reuter made the decision to run for two public office positions. He ran for Committee Man of Hopewell Township and for Republican State Committee.

“I was inspired to run for office because I was always passionate about politics, and I figured this was a good way to get involved while I am still young (25 years old),” said Reuter.

Reuter won the election for Hopewell Township Committee Man, however he unfortunately did not win a position in the Republican State Committee.

“I had Kyle Reuter on two occasions, Civics/Economics Honors and AP US History.  Kyle is very passionate about politics, and he was very interested as a student. He has very strong opinions about many issues. I enjoyed having Kyle as a student as he was very demonstrative and involved. When I  voted in the primary last month I saw that he was on the ballot, and I was not surprised.  When he was a student here he was actively involved in a few campaigns in a volunteer capacity,” social studies teacher Scott Vojcsik commented.

In order to campaign for the positions that he was running for, Reuter ordered and handed out cards stating what he was running for. His father also ordered ten years signs and placed them around lower York County.

Kyle Reuter
Kyle Reuter’s Campaign Card

“I think I could have had more signs up in the York area that would have helped me, and if I could have had more people that day in other polling prescients helping me in York, I feel I would have had a chance to win since I did really well in the southern end of the county but not so much up in the York area,” said Reuter.

He is unsure whether or not he would like to advance further into politics, saying: “Overall, I am not sure what my long-term goals will be, because I plan on being a lawyer, but I would eventually like to run for some political office, but I am not sure when that will be as I am still young and am not sure where my career after Law School will take me.”