Alumni Works For Tesla

Sam Greaves, Reporter

Have you ever wondered what working at Tesla is like?  Well, alumni Patrick Clemens just started working there on October 3. 

Clemens, who graduated in 2015, is an Energy System Installer.

He said, “I am working in their energy division installing solar energy systems in residential areas. Essentially, I am part of a team that is responsible for going out into ‘the field’ every day and putting solar panels, solar roofing, and the like on houses, as well as installing power walls and charging systems for Tesla electric cars.”

He joined the Tesla work force by going on their website and looking for job openings.

Clemens joined the company because he appreciates Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk and all he and the Tesla company are doing to help change the planet by making other sustainable sources of energy. 

“I believe that the company I’m working for is legitimately changing the world for the better.”

Although he does not fully know yet how the chain of command functions, he plans to be promoted at least once before moving on with his future plans. Clemens plans to go back to graduate school full-time to get his PhD in sociology. 

He believes that his current job will be able to help him with his future job, saying: “I certainly think that working out in the field, and for a company that I believe in will help me understand the reasons why people are drawn toward renewable energy and will teach me about the human aspects of social change via the customers.

“I think that working a ‘regular’ job before going back into academia with people who teach and formulate policy is important, because I’ll actually know the experience of working on the ground in the industries I want to study and teach about.”

He has always been drawn to teaching and public speaking and is always able to appreciate a good academic discussion. 

Clemens believes he will be able to follow his dream of learning more by going back to school and getting his PhD to become a professor. 

“I think being a professor will put me in a position where I’m always learning and surrounded by other smart people, but most importantly, it will give me the chance to work with young people studying the things I love and will allow me to influence generations of thinkers.”

As of now, Clemens’ future plans are to become a professor and teach sociology.  

Clemens doesn’t let the fact that his life will have to change bother him, saying that he might have to move or travel and that it isn’t unusual for him.

He has already applied to graduate school and is planning to start in the fall of 2020. He believes he will have his PhD and be teaching in about five to six more years.

Once Clemens is done his school, he would like to teach at Notre Dame, saying: “I think it would be really nice to teach at Notre Dame because of the prestige of the institution. It has history, a lot of students, a lot of money to fund research, decent sports, which are part of a passionate culture and campus life. So, if I had to pick one off the top of my head, that would probably be it.”

In reflecting upon high school, Clemens had two pieces of advice for students. 

“I guess my first piece of advice would be not to take things too seriously… my second piece of advice would be to take opportunities”