High School Students Read to Kidsville Junction

Regan Bosley, Reporter

For the duration of the year, Academic Letter Society has formed a partnership with Kidsville Junction daycare to have high school students volunteer to read to children.

From 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on one Wednesday a month throughout this year, high school students have signed up to read to kids under the care of Kidsville Junction.

Gifted teacher and Academic Letter Society supervisor Patricia McLucas is the leader and primary organizer of this program.

This program has been in the works for a while, dating back to this past summer.

“I met the owner [of Kidsville Junction] over the summer…I’ve been wanting an opportunity for my students to connect with younger kids, and the idea came up,” said McLucas.

Several have completed a permission slip to go to the daycare.

“My primary motivation for signing up was to benefit society and the kids…Not only would this benefit society, but it would benefit the kids with their academics and reading, and I wanted to be a part of that,” said Academic Letter Society member Noah McFarland.

The hope of this program is to exploit a love for academics in children.

“The hope is that the kids will learn the importance of academics and the joy of reading. We want them to enjoy the readings and hope they continue it on their own, which will further their academics,” said McFarland.

Not only will the kids gain from this experience, but the hope is that the high schoolers will take from it as well.

“I think the high schoolers have learned how to build a relationship, how to make a difference in the life of a child, and what it means to teach,” said McLucas.

Overall, it is believed that the high schoolers along with the children have enjoyed this experience.

“I greatly enjoyed and appreciated the opportunity to teach the future of humanity. Not only have I been enriched by this, but I hope the children have as well,” said Chess Club member Logan Kneller.

Due to the success of this program as of right now, plans are in the works for future programs associated with Kidsville Junction.

“I would like this experience to continue in future years and to have an ongoing partnership with Kidsville. I am even thinking of coordinating a book drive!” said McLucas.