Artist in Residence Works With Drama Students

October 24, 2017

On September 28 playwriting instructor Christy Brooks came to our school to teach English teacher Sarah Buttiens’ drama class about playwriting.

This class currently has three students: senior Emma Kriess, sophomore Sierra Bowers, and freshman Alyssa Baublitz. In class, students typically perform, write, and practice theatrical basics such as conveying emotion.

Brooks is part of the Appell Center (formerly Fulton theater), and they are hosting Artist in Residence as part of an outreach program to local high schools.

The goal of the program is for each student to write their own ten minute play to enter in the Annual High School Playwriting Festival held at the Appell Center. Winners will have their play produced and performed at the April 28 showcase at the Appell Center.

Brooks has been here four times so far and is already having a great effect on the students. She specifically works on the aspects of creating their own play.

“She’s really interesting. She is very knowledgeable about theater in general, and it’s really cool to get to talk to someone who is successful in that field,” Kreiss said.

During Brooks’ first visit, students began creating characters modeled after personal interests or ideas. On her second visit, Brooks’ introduced how to format a play and create conflict. From this point onwards, Brooks will work with the students to continue writing, developing, and completing their plays through mentor readings.

“I may have students prepare an assignment asking for them to create a plot, a setting, three characters with detailed descriptions for each, and three conflicts with resolutions,” Brooks said.

Each week Brooks’ is teaching and working on her goal to the 10 minute play. She also refers to her notes from previous years of teaching, and adapt writing exercises for specific schools.

Brooks’ has been playwriting for 15 years and involved in theatre for 20 years. She has also had her own theatre company for nine years.

This is the first time students at our school have participated in this Artist in Residence program. This is an eight week course where Brooks spends one period every week with drama students.

Baublitz said, “I’m most excited for writing my life in a script that is taking an interesting yet funny turn.”

Each student is required to enter a script in December, and Brooks is attempting to convince the board that one person  from each school win and have their play put into production.

Production will mean that one student will get to see their script be directed, cast, and showcased on stage.

Brooks’ said “Selected playwrights will have a director, a set with lights and sound, and actors to perform their play!”

The goal of this program is to show students what playwriting is. Help them learn what this is all about and if they want to pursue a career out of this. Then make it big like William Shakespeare, Arthur Miller and more.

Being part of this festival is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. A chance for the students to see their vision of what’s in their head come to life on the big stage.

This opportunity is a great experience for the students interesting in creating a career or just for fun.

Alyssa Baublitz said, “I hope to learn how to write a good script with a lot of emotion and a good descriptive setting.”