Academic Advisory Enters Phase 2 of Implementation

This year, 94 students in all four grades are part of a new program called Academic Advisory. It is part of an effort to help students feel connected to the school through mentoring, teachers, and peer focus groups.

After a trial run last year, Academic Advisory is now in the second stage of becoming a school-wide initiative.

“Students were selected at Random using a class list of all students in the grade level. For example, if a class had 300 students we took every tenth student on the list to fill our three groups,” said Math Teacher Eric Updegrove.

The idea was first put into action when Updegrove presented the program to the school board during the summer of 2021.

During the summer, Updegrove held a Ram Academy for teachers to attend if they were interested in leading Academic Advisory. Teachers that attended have now become advisors.

Updegrove’s thoughts for the program originated from a similar concept at his alma mater, South Western High School.

Updegrove has been a huge proponent of the program. He has worked hard to make it a positive experience for students.

“The main goal is to make every student feel a part of something within the building other than just being a student themselves,” said Updegrove.

During each meeting, there is somewhat of a set agenda, but as it goes on, it can flow into whatever the group is feeling.

Academic Advisory is relatively new, and making it school-wide is a huge step that Updegrove is looking to make in the future.

“Right now our goal is to have it start next school year. Most likely we are looking at another year out until we are fully running school-wide,” said Updegrove.

Many actions need to take place in order for it to be successful. “Any time you do a project like this it doesn’t happen overnight, and it takes a lot of planning and preparation,” said Assistant Principal Dr. Chad Brindle.

Many students enjoy these groups as well as gain something from the meetings.

Football Player Ryan Green said, “It has been very helpful because it has helped me get involved in the school community. It has opened my eyes to more opportunities in school and life.”

Meetings are the first Tuesday of every month during flex, going up until May. All meetings take place in the advisor’s classroom. Although there have only been two meetings, advisors are finding good results with the program.

“I think they are doing ok. We have been forming a lot of academic and social goals,” said the sophomore program advisor Brittany Farrell.

Even students that are not yet a part of the program have good things to say about it.

Freshman class Historian Annalise Renner said, “It can be beneficial to have a teacher to go to and trust at school.”