FFA Week

FFA+Week

Photo/KDHS FFA

Future Farmers of America (FFA) celebrates National FFA week across the country from February 18 to February 25th. FFA is a youth organization in schools across America that teach students about leadership and career opportunities in agriculture. 

Reporter Ashlin Miller said, “I have learned how to become a better leader, how to communicate and work with others, and what agriculture truly means.” 

FFA week is held every year as a way to bring attention to the organization and encourage students to join. Another goal is to celebrate agriculture and teach peers about its importance. 

Each year the week falls around George Washington’s birthday as he was an agriculturist himself and FFA uses the week to honor him. 

The organization was founded in 1928 as a way to promote agriculture and lead students into future leadership roles. FFA week began in 1948 and has been celebrated in many ways since. 

Each chapter celebrates in different ways such as decorating their school, completing community projects and traveling to different conventions to experience different workshops. National FFA leaders travel to different states to give speeches and work at conventions. 

This year, FFA decorated the glass hallway in various ways. While walking through, the windows are covered in designs and posters providing students with different agriculture and FFA facts. 

While passing through the hallway, be sure to read the information about FFA as well as the featured posters about corn and cattle. Towards the end of the hallway, the glass is covered with names of officers as well as advisors. The beginning of the hall is dedicated to Kenna and Dale with images of the front office staff and the pair. 

Pride fills the air this week as FFA students reflect on some highlights of the organization. 

Vice president Savannah Densmore speaks about how “Being a part of FFA is like a second family. A family where everyone is there for you through thick and thin. They push you to do your best, and if you fall, they will pick you up again.” 

The FFA organization offers several workshops and conventions to students across America; secretary Madison Hushon said, “One of my favorite memories has to be the National Convention.” 

Agriculture is a major part of our everyday lives and the process behind it is often overlooked, FFA is working to highlight the production side of agriculture and show all the hard work that is put into it.

FFA is also an organization for everyone; they want to focus on bringing students together and conditioning strong leaders for the future. Even if you don’t want to be an agriculturist, check out FFA and see if you can find a second family there too.   

When asked what FFA meant to her, sentinel Sara Marslett said, “To me being a part of FFA means that I am able to be myself around people in it and always learn new things. I enjoy being able to connect with others and make new great friends.”