Power45 Tutoring Now Available For Freshman and New Students

More stories from Jenna Crosby

Now available during Power45 is a tutoring session specifically for freshman and new students. The members of the Rams Team are offering this tutoring.

The Rams Team is a mentoring program for freshman and new students to try and make the transition easier.

“Since the Rams team is designed to be a mentoring program for freshman and new students, it seems only natural that tutoring would be a part of that, so part of being a mentor would be the offering of tutoring,” said Rams Team Advisor Dyan Hulslander.

The ultimate goal for these tutoring sessions is to help freshman who might have struggled through their first marking period.

This new opportunity can be very helpful and effective, because in the past, it was very difficult to arrange after school tutoring, but Power45 is a built-in way of tutoring the freshman that need the extra help.

Hulslander believes that freshman need some extra help because “highschool is a big adjustment and many freshman don’t understand what high school is like until after the first marking period, and they realize that they need to make some adjustments to their work habits.”

Many people have been looking to this as a positive idea, but there is room for improvement.

“I wanted to help the Freshman feel welcome in the high school, but the tutoring was unorganized and could have been better,” said Rams Team member Amanda Buckheit.

Rachel Locke is another Rams Team member who seems to really enjoy being a member of the Rams Team.

“This is my second year in Rams Team, and Mrs. Appleby initially encouraged me to join. I did because I genuinely wanted to help those new to the school feel welcome to help those walking the halls. The team still has a lot of growing to do, but I think in the future it could be really great and bring positivity to our school,” said Locke.

Some freshman are enjoying this, but others aren’t taking as much advantage of this new program.

Freshman Alyssa Cooper had the opportunity to go but didn’t. “I didn’t want to seem dumb going  to tutoring,” said Cooper.

Freshman Rachel Funk attended the freshman tutoring program and gave us some feedback. “I enjoyed the tutoring session; I feel like it helped a lot,” Funk said.

The Rams Team is very optimistic about this new tutoring program.