Power Lifters Advance to Nationals

Autumn Smith, Reporter

Eight lifters from the powerlifting team qualified for the United States of America Powerlifting (USAPL) national competition in Wisconsin on March 21 to 25.

The qualifying lifters were: seniors Jerome Chemelli, Zack McFatridge, Dalton Stike, Brian White; junior Noah Hulslander; sophomores James Devereux, Pat Maloney; and freshman Gabe Hulslander.

These students qualified based on their success in previous competitions.

“My goals for Nationals are to improve from last year. I always want to continue to improve. I want to have a good time because there is no point in competing if i don’t have fun. I want to win my weight class because it’s always nice to win,” Said Stike.

The lifters attended the USAPL national competition qualifier match, known as the Glen Mills Invitational, on February 17.

“This meet is used for determining the lifters commitment to the National Championship to be held in Wisconsin,” said coach Niko Hulslander.

Based on the results of this qualifier match, lifters  Chemelli Devereux, Maloney, Stike, and White advance to the national competition.

“Powerlifting is both an Individual and Team sport on the High School level. The sport, by definition, is a competition involving three tests of strength in the lifts of the Squat, Bench Press, and Deadlift. In each discipline, the lifter is given three chances to lift, according to the rules of performance, the maximum weight they physically can,” said Niko Hulslander.

The sport is divided into divisions for age and weight for both male and female lifters.

At the end of the competition, a lifter’s “total weight” is calculated by adding their highest weights in all three categories mentioned above. Team points are awarded based on an individual’s placement in the competition.

Powerlifting competitions take place on the local, state, regional, national, and international levels.

The team will be competing at two local events and two state events this year, including their Home Show on May 19.

The powerlifting team also competed on February 24 at the Pennsylvania teenage small school state championship. The competition took place at Parkland High School in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

All 21 lifters on the team attended the event, and seven of these lifters took first in their own divisions. These lifters were Nicholas Cairns, Chemelli, Devereux, David Hill, Maloney, Senior Aubrey Stewart, Stike.

Last year, five lifters qualified for the USAPL national competition which occurred in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Devereux, Stike, Hulslander, and senior lifters Shawn Ellis and Ryan McNutt also competed at last year’s national competition. Noah Hulslander and McNutt came second in their respective divisions, while Ellis placed first in his division