Drama Club Takes Bi-Annual Trip to NYC

Autumn Smith, Reporter

On April 8, Drama Club hosted a community trip to New York City to see the Broadway show, Come From Away.

The trip was open to anyone that wished to attend, including students and community. In total, 40 people attended the trip and 14 of those were students.

This bi-annual trip is a fundraiser for the Drama Club. The trip cost $130.00 per person paid in six $26.00 installments. The first payment was due in November and the last in March.

If the club had sold all of the available tickets, Drama Club would make $20.00 per ticket.

In total, the fundraiser made $4,650.00 and $875.50 of that went to the Drama Club; this money is often used to purchase necessary items for fall or spring productions.

The trip had other activities besides the musical as well.

The trip left the school at 6:15 a.m. and stopped for breakfast on the way..

Once they arrived in the city at 10:30 a.m, the people on the trip had time to explore the city and shop before the show at 3:00 p.m.

Some of the people that attended went to the 9/11 memorial museum before the show.

The 9/11 Memorial, featuring names lost in the tragedy. Photo credit: James Craley

“Going to the memorial was very emotional, especially listening to the calls from many of the people that died that day saying goodbye to their families. The memorial was done very well and really gave a feel as to what it was like right after the attack,” said assistant musical director Barb Peterson.

Other individuals who attended the memorial agreed with Peterson’s sentiments.

“The 9/11 memorial and museum was a very well done exhibit area.  Everyone needs to go and see this at some point of their lives, and with us seeing a show about 9/11, it fit in perfectly.  It was very neat to see where we were as country and to see where we have gone since those events as well,” Craley said.

While the trip includes a full day in New York City, where attendees can dine, sightsee, and shop, most people attended the trip to see the show.

“I’m a theatre buff. I like to attend shows, so that was my main attraction,” said attendance secretary Michelle Schrader.

The play was Come From Away, a Broadway show about the location of Gander, Newfoundland and the time after September 11, 2001 when planes were stranded there while American air traffic was closed.

The set of Come From Away. Photo credit: James Craley

“I loved Come From Away.  I learned a lot about what happened on 9/11 that I didn’t even think about; for example, there were all kinds of animals on the planes that landed there that had to be taken care of, including a very rare monkey that was pregnant. I also loved the staging of the musical, very simple sets and costumes, but very effective,” Peterson said.

The drama club chose this musical after speaking with several individuals who regularly attend these trips. As a group, these individuals, including Drama Club Advisor James Craley, thought that this would be a good show.

“It got great reviews, it has a powerful story, and is an original show that keeps selling out to audiences,” Craley said.

Many of the people that went on the trip really enjoyed the musical.

“I loved this musical; it was incredibly simple staging and costuming to tell the amazing story of how a town came together overnight to help those in need in light of a tragedy. It made me laugh and cry,” said senior Isabelle Masquelier.

Craley has been arranging these trips for 20 years and hosts two trips every year. He always attends them himself, and he enjoys some more than others.

“Honestly, every show we see is different and are special in their own way. But if I had to pick, I would say Wicked or Hairspray,” said Craley.