Alumni Visit Senior English Class to Give College Advice

Autumn Smith, Reporter

English teacher Sarah Buttiens held the second alumni panel in her advanced placement (AP) and college prep (CP) classes on May 31; her goal was to help educate her students about life after high school.

Buttiens contacted alumni that she talked to with and messaged some of them on Facebook. After experiencing the alumni panel during the previous year, Buttiens thought some would enjoy participating in the panel as alumni.

“I decided to participate in the Alumni Panel because I know when I was a high school student, especially a senior, I had about a million questions and would have taken any information about college graciously,” said alumni Bailee Wenckus.

Buttiens tried to invite only five alumni for each of her four classes, and each class had different alumni visitors to talk to them.

Based on lack of class participation from previous years, Buttiens had the students prepare more than one question before the panel and turn them into Buttiens.

“Last year, students were a little nervous, intimidated, or unsure about what to ask on the day of the panel, so this year I had them prepare 3-4 questions in advance that I could ask for them if necessary,” Buttiens said.

The panel was rather casual. The students were sitting at desks arranged in a horseshoe shape and the alumni were sitting in a row of chairs in the front of the classroom.

Buttiens started doing the alumni panel at the end of the year for a few reasons.

“There are a couple of miscellaneous days after finals when grades are done, so I look for productive ways to further their knowledge. I used to talk to them based on my experiences in college, but those have become out of date, so I figured more recent alumni would have more timely information,” said Buttiens.

As the panel began, the students were a little apprehensive to ask questions, so Buttiens began asking the pre-prepared question. For example, “How do you manage money?,” “What are some tips for surviving freshman year?,” and “Can you really tailor your classes to your liking?”

As time went on and the alumni started answering questions, the students became more comfortable in asking their own questions, often asking follow-up questions to the answers that the alumni gave.

Throughout the day, alumni discussed a variety useful topics, such as: dorms, cost of college, money management, jobs (on campus or not), responsibilities in full-time careers, friendships after college, clubs, cars on campus, homework in college versus high school, and attendance to name a few.

Overall, by the end of the panel, both students and alumni thought it was a success.

“It went well; everyone had something to contribute. A few students had good questions, but most discussion was directed by Mrs. Buttiens,” said 2015 alumni Chris Rice.

Students felt the panel was very beneficial and comforting.  

“My biggest take away from this would be the wide variety of options that I was told [about], like military and study abroad,” said senior Alexis Bryson.

Senior Hannah Piechocki found the panel relieving, “[I learned that] you don’t have to be scared. You should look forward to [college].”

Even with the positive response, there is always room for improvement.

“I would have liked to talk more about what my major is like and what it’s like to go to a small school,” said 2016 alumni Lexi Morgan.

Buttiens was pleased with this year’s panel and her students’ response to them. “I think, overall, my seniors benefited greatly from the candid nature of our conversations. This year was more smooth than last year, and I already know some changes I’d like to make for next year, such as trying to skype a military alumni and inviting more full-time work students. I’d also really like to try and have some technical school students, too.”