The Art of Color Guard

EmiLee Doniecki, Reporter

If you have ever attended a football game, then you have seen the band perform with the accompaniment of color guard. But few people know much about this school sport.

Originally, color guard was strictly for military members. They held American flags and rifles, and they only had four positions: right and left shoulder, and front and back present.

Also, if the flag was not the national flag, it would be symbolic colors. They had certain colors for their nation and during practices/performances some even used real rifles.

Now, high school color guard is more of an art; there are different colored flags, some teams use fake, wooden rifles, and all color guard makes use of dance moves to incorporate the flags and rifles.   

Barbara Peterson said, “There are a lot of dance elements used in color guard. As the visual 

representation of the music the guard members must be able to portray many different characters,

emotions and feelings.”

Because guard combines art and athleticism, students interested in joining  have to work hard to make sure to put on a great show.

Even if Color Guard is hard work, all the guard members believe that color guard is enjoyable. Peterson said “Anyone who is interested in guard should come to one of the workshops we have in the spring and try it out.  It is a lot of hard work but a lot of fun too.”

In addition, in order to move to another place during performance, members must jazz run or pony in place. So, when they are doing a certain flag movement, members are not still with a plain spin of a flag.

Also, guard members must run on and off the field to change flags. There’s a lot of endurance necessary to continually move in such a way.

Another physical challenge is remaining in sync with the team; if someone is not in sync, they can throw the whole show off by simply having their flag down while others are up. It will look like there’s a hole on the field.Also with the flag being up while others are down it will ruin the effect that they are together.   

Color guard requires dedication, just like any sport. Practices occur Tuesday and Wednesday. Members must attend every football game, of which there are one each Friday.

Kayla Horant said, “At the end of the day you have a group of people in color guard that are always there for you no matter what, and that’s why I continue to do guard, because I love it and all the people that I do guard with.”