The Homecoming Pep Rally

Alexis Wedderien, Reporter

The pep rally is one of the most celebrated events of the school year. It allows students to increase school spirit and get pumped for the Homecoming game and dance.

On October 5, energetic students filled the auditorium, and quarterback Noah Huslander hosted the annual event.

As always, the pep rally started off a performance from color guard and marching band.

“I really enjoyed the marching band. I thought it was a good way to kick off the pep rally” said junior Audra Newmeyer.

Following the marching band, the cheerleaders showed off their skills, performing a routine to a mashup.

After this, the school watched as Student Council members Karlie Froome and Savannah Sealover introduced the Homecoming Court.

Candidates were dressed up in different television and movie characters, such as Peter Pan and Tinkerbell or Forrest Gump and Jennie. While walking across the gym, Fromme and Sealover Sealover informed the school of each candidates school activities and post-high school goals.

“It was really fun that they dressed up and everyone seemed excited to see who they were dressed up as” said freshman Natalie Rigney.

After the court, Hulslander introduced the fall sports teams, including field hockey, girls soccer, boys soccer, girls tennis, cross country, golf, girls volleyball, cheerleading, and, of course, the football team.

Following this, the Varsity club organized an activity for all students to potentially take part in, a giant Tug-of-War.

“The reason we’re [did]this is just to add another element of fun and friendly competition to the pep rally.  The result [I was] looking for was, again, simply everyone having fun [whether they’re participating or watching],” said Varsity Club advisor Amy Fisher.

After the Varsity Club’s tug-of-war activity, the annual scream off occurred.

Students from different grades screamed as loud as they could to show off their school spirit.

“I always enjoyed the scream off it really does show school pride” said junior Amelie Gamache.

Many students had positive reactions about the pep rally.

“I really enjoyed the pep rally. I like it because it really does show student supporting KD while having some fun” said sophomore Kayla Horant.

While students enjoyed the pep rally, others did have ideas that could make improvements in the future.

“At my previous school, we had pep rallies, too; they were more enjoyable, longer, and hyped the crowd up more. They had more games for students to be involved in,” said freshman Trista Senez.

Senez would change the pep rally by making more students involved, such as having teams of students playing against each other and playing games like American Ninja warrior or scooter races.