FBLA Fundraiser

Travis Ward, Reporter

Business teacher Rachel Bontoyan advises Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), and they just hosted a fundraiser, selling chocolate from October 22 to the 26 for only one dollar.

The chocolates are from ¨worlds finest¨, and there are five different flavors. Flavors include: almond, caramel, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and crunch.

According to President Adam Steiner, the favorite of the five flavors was caramel.

They did sell out fairly quickly, with some students selling up to five boxes. Steiner said, ¨at the peak of my sales, I was selling a box a day.¨

What is FBLA and why should students and staff help the fundraiser? FBLA is an American career and technical student organization, preparing students for their future.

According to FLBA.org, ¨FBLA helps high school students prepare for careers in business through academic competitions […], leadership development, and educational programs.¨

Their mission is to bring business and education together in a positive working relationship through innovative leadership and career development programs according to Bontoyan.

The fundraiser is an effort to raise money for field trips throughout the year, and the funds help pay for the bus to go to the FBLA competition.

Some field trips that will occur this year are: a trip to Washington D.C. for a business conference and a trip to competition at the regional level and hopefully the state level.

The business conference in Washington D.C. will be the first field trip of this kind in a couple of years, and it will occur on March 15.

In addition to the conference, students will also have the opportunity to attend a college fair at the Washington Wizards’ arena and then meet the marketing and management for the team; they will also get an opportunity to see the game that starts at 7 p.m.

According to Bontoyan, an additional benefit of this trip will be to show students that they don’t have to be athletes to have a career in sports.