Running Into the Cross Country State Championships

Jolie Hoppes, Reporter

This year, two members of the Cross Country team ran in the State Championship on November 3: senior Caleb Bakalyar and sophomore Collin Wolf.

The State Championship took place at the Hershey Parkview Cross Country Course.

Bakalyar and Wolf had never run in the State Championship before, and qualifying for States was unexpected according to Bakalyar.

Wolf placed 80 in the race and ran the course in 18:14. Bakalyar placed 141 and his time was 18:47.

Greensburg Salem was the winning team and Indiana Area was the second place team.

Grove City runner Jonah Powell was the individual winner with a time of 16:29.

To get to those places, Bakalyar and Wolf trained consistently all year, in any condition, and on all terrains.

Training with these challenges helped the two runners, because the Parkview course was very muddy and had a lot of hills. In fact, the course gained a hill at the end since the course had to be changed due to the wet conditions.

They took very few rest periods, and the Boy’s Cross Country coach Kyle Hardenbrook said that they run about 50 miles a week. In addition to this rigorous training, running Track and Field helps them train as well.

The two runners often train together and with the other members of the Boy’s Cross Country team.

Wolf said, “I feel training with a team helps boost the team moral and helps give each and every person the will to finish their run or do the best they can.”

Bakalylar has been running Cross Country since his sophomore year, and Wolf has run since his seventh grade year.

“You get what you earned,” said Hardenbrook. And with all their training, they clearly earned their place at States.

To get to the State Championship, Wolf and Bakalyar had to place in the the top 15 runners in Districts, not counting the runners that already qualified with their team. In Districts, Wolf placed 12 and Bakalyar placed 21.

Last year no boys ran in the State Championship, although we have had runners qualify for the State Championship before.

Both runners enjoyed their experience at the race. Bakalyar said, “A whole bunch of people all dedicated to running– and it was awesome.”

After the State Championship, there will be Nationals; however, neither will be running there because they would need to be picked from a regional race.

Bakalyar plans to continue running in college. He wants to run in Division two or three.

Wolf will continue to run Cross Country and will train for the State Championship next year. He is excited to have the opportunity to hopefully place again next year.