Purpose of The Book Fair

Brooklyn Sprenkle, Journalist

The Parent Teacher Association (PTA) hosts a book fair every fall and spring at Delta Peach Bottom Elementary School. This book fair is offered to students and parents of the school in order to purchase books and trinkets from Scholastic.

Principal Dr. Zane Fake explained, “There are a variety of theme-specific books and additionally, a variety of genres to choose from. There are also little trinkets that can be purchased as well.”

At the book fair you could find books for all age groups from pre-kindergarten to fourth grade.

“Even the ones who can’t read yet get excited for reading,” head of the PTA Jessica Harrington said.

Second grade student Parker Sprenkle's favorite thing at the book fair was a Captain Underpants book; he likes all the adventures Captain Underpants takes and his saying “tra-la-la”.

In sales, the book fair made $5,300, and Delta Peach Bottom Elementary School got to keep $2,300 of the total sales. The money that the school keeps goes to the staff to get books for their classrooms and the library.

Teachers also get gift certificates, and teacher appreciation as well. They are able to buy things on the online scholastic store as well.

“The online scholastic store has more than books like furniture, maker space things, coding supplies, etc.” said Harrington.

The book fair is helpful for the school but some might think its a waste of money.

When asked if the book fair was a waste of money, Parent Jackie Sprenkle responded “ I don’t think the book fair is a waste of money. With having two children whom do not like to read, it makes them more likely to read and enjoy a book they got to pick out verses one I think they
would like.”

With a book fair, there have to be rules to follow. Students have designated times to preview and purchase from the book fair, also, students are not allowed to buy more than one non-book item from the book fair.

Harrington said, “One of the best things a parent can do is create memories reading with their
child. “The book fair might hold your favorite book, but it also might hold your favorite
memories as well.” said Jackie Sprenkle.