Community’s Reaction to Senior Patrick Maloney’s Injury

Kelsi Muller, Reporter

Senior lineman Patrick Maloney suffered an injury at a football game against Eastern York on Oct. 25, and he has been in the hospital since then. Maloney suffered a head injury during the game and collapsed on the side lines, and has been battling other illnesses and reactions from his treatment as well.P

Immediately after the incident, an ambulance rushed him to York Hospital for an emergency operation, and then a medivac flew him to Hershey Medical. Updates about Maloney’s current condition have been posted via the Football Booster’s Facebook account. 

The community has shown strong support for Maloney and his family in the wake of the incident. 

As mentioned, the Facebook page keeps everyone updated about his condition, as his mom posts there regularly. 

In addition, social media has been a marked way for individuals and school organizations to show their support. Many have changed their profile pictures to a “Pray for Pat” picture. Some of those accounts include: Students for Christ, Boys Lacrosse, RAMS Team, Field Hockey, Powerlifting, Football, FBLA, Sports Boosters, and The RamPage.

Another example of support is the prayer circle that Students for Christ organized.

The prayer circle occurred on October 29 at the football field. Tes Leighty originally proposed the idea, and the organization supported it.With help from Students for Christ adviser Kyle Hardenbrook and Principal Heather Vanne, they were able to put everything together. 

According to Students for Christ member Grace Anne Shaw, the event had a great turn out with over a hundred students and many teachers and community members attending. 

When asked whether she thought it helped people, Shaw said, “It certainly helped raise awareness about Pat’s struggle and helped everyone to see how important it is that we come together and support one another.” 

Along with the prayer circle, wristbands and t-shirts have been made. There are also yard signs throughout the community.

Victoria Baulbitz organized the creation and sales of Shirts and wrist bands and Cecily Amrhein created and organized the lawn signs.

Other school organizations are creating fundraisers to raise money to support the families medical bills, hotel rooms, and anything else they need. National Honor Society is hosting a spirit night at Chick Fil-A to raise funds.

The family continues to update the Facebook page, and have also asked for those who want to show support to make a donation to the Ronald McDonald house in Maloney’s name. More information is available on the Ram’s Football Facebook Page.