Extracurriculars Go Virtual

Gabby Williams

More stories from Gabby Williams

With the need to social distance this school year, several club leaders have had to come to the decision on whether they can have their club remain in person or operate in a virtual format.

“It took a long time for me to even decide on if we should have it stay in person, but because I have students who are still very engaged, and it is such a good cause, I decided to run it with the people who are still interested in being involved, and we decided to stay in person as long as we could do it safely,” expressed Mini-Thon advisor Grant Leonard.

Other advisors’ decisions came more easily.

Aevidum advisor Jennifer Adams stated, “We knew that especially at a time like this we really did still need Aevidum whether it be still in person or online.”  With this in mind, Aevidum is in person but also offering virtual this year.

The clubs that are now virtual will host their zoom meetings at 4 p.m. so students have the chance to get home to attend the meeting, and in-person clubs will still start at the same time right after school in their regular rooms.

Clubs meeting in person are taking extra precautions. “We will meet in a different area of the media center so that we can spread out and maintain social distancing. We will keep our masks on. I will make sure to disinfect the tables and chairs after we are finished meeting,” said library society advisor Emily Amberman.

Although there are some clubs that are meeting in person, students who are virtual or hybrid for the year are still allowed to join if they would like to.

Though things are definitely different this year for clubs, students are still motivated to make the best of their clubs despite the setbacks.

“I don’t think people are showing less interest, people are actually trying to find more ways to do things, going forward I don’t think that people will be less interested,” shared student council advisor Rachel Bontoyan.

They’re even seeing the bright sides of the situation.

“I think one benefit to having online clubs is that it can go for any length. Obviously, there’s still times where the meeting would take place in, but if it goes over, that’s okay, because there isn’t anyone waiting to go home or there isn’t anyone missing the late bus,” voiced Aevidum member Mitchell Kilgore.

Teachers also recognize the benefits of an online platform.

“Some people have more chances to speak so as it is easy now we might potentially get more participants. When you’re at home you don’t have to worry about a ride and you won’t have to worry about the anxiety that may come with staying after school to come to the club; this way you can kind of control the environment. I think that it would be great in the future to maybe continue to offer the online option so that people can continue to zoom in even if we do have in person; we want to get as many people as we can, and I think you’ll still be able to have fun with the virtual, and we are going to try and make it fun for both sides,” stated Aevidum advisor Kara Vojcsik.

In the end, with students and teachers putting in their best efforts and positivity to make their beloved clubs work, it’s clear that the passion for these changing clubs will still be remaining the same this year.