2022 Baseball Season Preview

Peyton Parks, Sports Editor

March is here, which means the start of another baseball season, but this year the Rams have Alumni Robert “Bobby” Holmes taking the reins of the team.

Holmes was an assistant coach on the Rams JV baseball team last year and earned the job as head varsity coach for the upcoming season.

This is Holmes’ second coaching stint as he was the assistant varsity coach in the late 90’s. He also coached the Stewartstown American Legion team.

Holmes has taught physical education at Stewartstown elementary for 17 years.

He is no stranger to baseball; aside from his coaching and teaching experiences, he played for the Rams in high school and was the 1992 Rams team MVP.

Preseason workouts for the team began in January with the new coach, and the team picked up just where they left off almost seamlessly. Workouts include: pitching, hitting and fielding.

The prior season was a successful one for the Rams as they finished with a 13-10 overall record and an 8-5 league record. The Rams had clinched a playoff berth but lost to heavy hitter East Pennsboro in the first round.

Some tough competitors for the Rams this season are the Red Land Patriots and rivals Susquehannock Warriors.

Luckily, the Rams still have a plethora of talent from the year’s prior team who have just gotten better and stronger through their past year. 

While losing star seniors Ryan Schubert, Jason Williams and Tyler Nagel the team is still filled with varsity level experience from Junior Lucas Nagel, Seniors Hank Leighty, Travis Nelson and Toby Young. With the experience and talent on the table for the Rams, this season is full of hope for another postseason run. 

Along with plenty of experience on the team already, freshmen Micah Smith and Ryan Perzanowki also made the varsity team. Both played for elite tournament baseball teams in preparation for high school baseball.

Holmes goal is to continue the growth of the team, “I plan to continue to develop and improve the baseball program here at KD. Help the young men involved with the team to grow into great leaders.”

Seniors on the team this year are: Jake Boardwine, Dylan Boswell, Wade Kaminski, Hank Leighty, Travis Nelson, Peyton Parks, and Toby Young.

This year’s seniors have shown enthusiasm to get back out on the field as first baseman Kaminski said, “I am hyped for this upcoming season and couldn’t ask for a better group of guys to finish high school baseball out with.”

With seniors losing their sophomore year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, they look to go out for one last dance and lead the Rams to another playoff berth.