Why are SAT’s no longer required?

Cody Joines, Reporter

The Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) is a standardized test that the College Board administers; as such, they require students to take it if they are seeking admission to undergraduate schools. 

High schools recommend that students take the SAT for the first time in the spring of junior year and again in the fall before college application deadlines. Most students who retake the SAT raise their score, and some students even take it more than twice.

In the United States, the SAT is given seven times a year: March, May, June, August, October, November, and December.  Although you may take the SAT any time starting freshman year, most students take it for the first time in the spring of their junior year and possibly retake it in the fall of their senior year. 

Senior Zach Eickhoff said, “you shouldn’t put a lock(test) on the gate to our futures.”

The test costs $55.00. But, there can be additional fees such as the $25 to change a testing date, or a $30 fee for late registration. 

There is no such thing as failing an SAT, you may fail to receive an acceptance letter from the college or university of your dreams, if your SAT score is low.  Retaking the SAT, which typically results in a higher score, is always an option.  

Perhaps a bright spot of the COVID epidemic, some students didn’t have to take SAT’s because of COVID-19.  Which is nice for some people because now they can get into any college they want without having to get a good score on the SAT’s. 

Senior Dario Morales said, “it is dumb that you have to take a test to get into a school to set you up for the future.” 

Colleges understand that not all students are able to take a college entrance exam because of test center closures and reduced capacity due to COVID-19. Most colleges aren’t requiring a test score for the upcoming admissions cycle.

Guidance counselor Joyce Marburger said,  “Since many colleges no longer require the SAT for admission, many students are not taking it.”  

Should schools require the SAT’s?  “For other students, standardized testing is not their strength so their GPA reflects how diligently they worked in high school and how well they can perform. If you are asking if high schools should require the SAT, I do not believe so; many students are not going to a four year college after high school,” said Marburger.