Working Out is Good, But When is The Best Time To?

Travis Ward, Reporter

Every morning I wake myself up at 4:30 a.m. and hit the gym by 5:15 in the morning so I can be nice and swole for the ladies. And as I’m going throughout my day, feeling energized and accomplished, I wonder what health benefits I gain or miss out on compared to going in the evening. 

So as an inquiring mind, I did some research.

I figured the best place to start gathering information was with our  gym teachers. I was surprised to find that their opinion unanimously aligned with mine; it’s best to work out in the morning.

Mr.Hasson says, “For me personally, I love to work out first thing in the morning as I look forward to it and it jump starts mt day and makes me feel awake”.

I think it’s safe to say I have a slight addiction to the pump. And I also think it’s safe to say I don’t enjoy waking up at the crack of dawn–it’s especially difficult because I’m waking up at 4:30, while most of my peers stay in bed until 7 a.m. to get ready for school as most students do, it’s very hard to wake up for something you dread. 

But I do it because I find it easier to wake up at 4:30 a.m. for the gym because it’s something that interests me more than academics. So being able to start my day 3-4 hours earlier than my peers allows me to be much more ready to learn after going to the gym. 

So, not only is working out this early just an absolute jumpstart to my day, it allows me to wake up and stay energized through an eight hour school day. 

Working out this early just works for my schedule. After school, I have lacrosse and studies, and on weekends I work. And, sure, I could work out after lacrosse at night, but it is not good for your sleep schedule. 

Sally A. White, PhD, dean and professor in the College of Education at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa said, “Your body needs to get ready for sleep…you want your heart rate and body temperature in a rest zone. It starts the body getting into a habit of sleep.”(web.md) 

Working out at night gives you the opposite effect; you’re not really able to relax after all of this. You’re on high alert due to an increased heat rate and raised body temperature, most likely asking for a restless night’s sleep. 

As for another benefit, PubMed says “exercisers can burn up to 20 percent more body fat when hitting the gym with an empty stomach”. For someone who is trying to “lean bulk” this is my ultimate driving factor of why I work out in the morning.

To be able to bulk muscle while burning fat and consuming tons of protein and calories, I really benefit from the 20% increase in fat burning.   

I think it’s obvious to say that for someone in my situation–an eight hour school day with practice/work obligations–the morning routine is the way to go.

Furthermore, for someone that struggles with sleepless nights already, working out at night does nothing more than just make it harder for me to sleep at night–and we can all benefit from a better night’s sleep.