College Presentations and the Application Season

In the coming month, various universities will be visiting to provide information to students about the daunting college application process. This is in conjunction with the information and advice currently provided through our school and guidance department.

Presenters for the next month include: Penn State University, Shenandoah University, Millersville University, and York County School of Technology Adult & Continuing Education. These presentations cover the basics of the college, as well as admissions deadlines for applicants.

On October 20, admissions counselor Matthew Beard led a presentation about Kutztown University. Two juniors, Rory McLeod and Timothy Ester attended the presentation.

Beard covered topics such as campus activities, majors, on campus living.

Since there were only two students, Beard was able to tailor the presentation to each prospective student and discuss things they had specific questions about.

Both attendees remarked that it gave an overall better insight into the university and the admissions process.

Ester, who has attended a large number of the offered presentations, said, “This tour was better than some, but not as good as others. It all depends on how engaging the presenter is,” he said.

For McLeod on the other hand, this was his first presentation.

“It was a pretty average price and I liked the free food plan,” said McLeod.

The guidance department sets up these visits due to popular demand from students or inquiry from the college itself. Unfortunately, many colleges choose to not visit due to the location of our school and many students don’t take advantage of these opportunities.

Guidance counselors and committees, such as Academic Advisory, are available to students to help them through the admissions process.

“I originally had some confusion, but I am actually in the Academic Advisory program and my advisor has been able to answer some of those questions for me,” said senior class Vice President Reghan Evler.

For students not in academic advising, the process has had its ups and downs. While counselors, teachers, and the school counseling website are available to students with questions, seniors proposed alternate ideas.

“I feel like dedicating a day where everyone goes on the Common Application together and fills out basic information would be helpful. There were so many things I was confused about, such as weighted class ranks or GPA’s. This would also help students to get the process done faster and it to be less of a burden on them,” said field hockey player Madison Davidson.

Many students have finalized and submitted their applications in the past weeks due to the early action deadline on November 1. A better chance of acceptance is one of the reasons students gravitate towards early action.

A lot of colleges require a personal essay as a part of their application. When asked what their personal essay was about, responses from seniors varied from media influences to how difficult events have affected their life.

A controversial requirement for applications this year is the submission of Scholastic Aptitude Tests (SAT) and American College Testing (ACT) scores. Many schools are still test-optional, meaning they are not requiring scores for admission.

“If the SAT scores can show a better representation of the student’s abilities, I suggest submitting them,” said school counselor Joyce Marburger.

Seniors are applying to a range of places this year. From private schools, to large public schools, each has something special to offer.

Marburger noted that many students that she has talked to this year are applying to trade schools and community colleges.

“My list has around eight schools. I’d rather have more options just in case I don’t get into my top choice, then I have ones to fall back on,” said tennis player Odessa Bowers.

Money is also a key factor in where students are considering applying.

“Some schools require a really expensive application fee, which I wasn’t going to pay if I knew I wasn’t going to go there,” said Davidson.

Scholarships can help to aid students through this expensive process. A constantly updated list of scholarships can be found on the school counseling website.

As students continue with this process, Marburger offers them friendly advice about procrastination.

“I advise students to put on their Nikes and just do it! Take your time because mistakes occur when you don’t,” she said.