German Teacher Encouraging Students to Understand German Roots

October is German Heritage Month

Chase Hayes, Reporter

German heritage month is celebrated in the month of October in honor of the Germans who settled in America in 1683.

“I celebrate German Heritage month with my German NHS students. I also hang some informational posters in the school to inform others about what GHM is. Also, I teach German and its culture every day,” said German teacher Brittany Farrel.

Not only do we celebrate the month in high school, but the middle school German teacher also participates.

“I think a goal is to have students recognize that some of the things and people in their everyday lives come from other countries and ‘foreign’ culture isn’t that ´foreign´ at all,” said middle school German teacher Joanna Kapinos.

For example, many car companies are from Germany, including Mercedes-Benz, Audi, BMW, and Porsche.

ҬTry to experience something German this month, for example, try a German recipe at home with your family. Or maybe spend some time searching Spotify for a German playlist of music you like,Ӭ said Kapinos.

If students are interested in participating in German Heritage Month, there are many ways they can do so.

They could make a playlist via Spotify or Apple Music; there are many popular American songs rewritten in German.

There are many delicious foods that most people might already eat that people don’t even know are from Germany. Some of them are Bratwurst and sauerkraut.

Other traditional foods that people of German heritage enjoy are Brötchen, Käsespätzle, Currywurst, Kartoffelpuffer & Bratkartoffeln.

“My honor society students participate in GNHS (German National Honor Society) events. Students can show support by asking questions about friends/family with German heritage and by sharing their stories. Students can also post to social media using supportive hashtags such as #GermanHeritageMonth,” said Farrel.

German Heritage month isn’t really celebrated in Germany. German Heritage month is more about the Germans who settled in America in 1683.

“I do not know any Germans who celebrate German Heritage Month in Germany. I think this month is for individuals with German ancestry in other countries,” said Farrel.

There are many other ways to help celebrate German History Month. There are many German books and movies, and websites too; all of these things are helping students show their support.