New Spanish Teacher Joins the Language Department

This school year, we’ll be starting off with fresh ideas in the language department as new Spanish language teacher Andrew Secula will be taking over. 

Graduating from Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP), Secula took on his very first teaching position here. 

Throughout school, Secula took Spanish courses. In one course, he had a teacher whose teaching method was very influential to him and was one of the reasons Secula chose to incorporate Spanish into his career. 

When asked if foreign language is an important subject to teach in schools, Secula said, “Yes, on several levels, our world is becoming increasingly globalized and as we become more connected, there are certain tools that we, especially as young people, will need to thrive.” 

While planning lessons, Secula reflects on what was positive for him as a learner, and incorporates that into the content that he delivers to his students.

Senior Kaitlyn Carruth, in Spanish V, said, “I think we are learning a lot more than we have in previous years, but we definitely have to put in work to keep up”. 

Students showing motivation and being engaged in class means a lot to teachers, especially Secula himself.

Secula said, “One of the best feelings as a teacher is when a student asks a question(…), another thing is when a student wants to challenge themselves and go above and beyond to expand their language.” 

As long as there is Spanish in the curriculum here, Secula plans to stay and teach it.

Traveled to Bilbao, Spain.

Secula has also taken over as the advisor of Spanish Honor Society, and is willing to participate in or advise other clubs if given the opportunity.

He has traveled to Spain for a ten day trip and enjoyed viewing  multiple structures that represent important values of the country. 

If not Spanish, what would it be? Philosophy would also be a topic Secula would be interested in teaching due to the topics discussed within it.

When asked about the staff here, “I do enjoy being part of the staff here; they’re quite friendly; they’re all approachable and I’ve found them extremely helpful,” he said.

In his free time, he likes to play Dungeons and Dragons (DND) with his peers, play ins

truments such as guitar, collect records in competition with his brother, and participate in filmmaking festivals with friends.

Churro Shop located in Valladolid, Spain.

For students considering whether Spanish is right for them, Secula said, “As long as you’re willing to give language a try, you’ll find yourself having fun.”