Faculty Team Building at Ski Roundtop

Teachers gathered atop Ski Roundtop to participate in an all-day team building activity on September 1 that included team activities as well as high ropes courses during the afternoon.

Principal Heather Venne orchestrated this event because she believes that “the health and well-being of our staff is critical to the success of KD.  Taking the time to provide team-building activities directly impacts the culture and climate of the school.  Having a positive culture and climate has a direct correlation to student achievement.

“So often we spend more time with our colleagues then we do with our own families.  It has always been my goal to create a school environment that feels like a family.  I believe the team-building activities like the one we participated in at Ski Roundtop can help create that family atmosphere.”

The Assistant Principals agree with Venne’s beliefs regarding team building events and activities being an important part of organizations.

Assistant Principal Douglas Bryant explained: “A common characteristic of the teaching profession is the way in which it tends to isolate teachers.  For most teachers, the majority of their professional day is spent in their individual classrooms, working with their students.  The opportunities to collaborate with and exchange ideas among colleagues is, far too often, a rare thing in schools.  Our belief as a KD Administrative team is that the more opportunities we can provide for our team to interact together, the greater benefit to everyone – especially to our students.”

And teachers agree that this was an effective way to build our team. Music teacher Samantha Baldwin said, “We take trips like this to enforce the idea that we are one family and faculty, not a collection of separate departments. It gives us a chance to interact with faculty outside of our department and appreciate each other’s strengths.”

English teacher Rachel Appleby agreed, adding: “We need to be a strong, cohesive staff who cares about each other if we are to make the most difference in the lives of our students. We claim to always have our students’ backs, but we also need to know that we have each others’ as well.”

The morning began with some waiting while the events were organized. Then, teachers met in small groups to play some games to remember names or acquaint each other with one another.

Science teacher Kyle Hardenbrook said, “Initially I was not sold on the idea that we needed ‘team building’. […] I quickly changed my mind, though, as the day progressed. I really felt like the time with the other teachers was useful in building connections with teachers I typically do not associate much with.”

After initial introductions, teachers worked together to solve or participate in various activities. Some of those included a make-shift pirate boat that rocked, and teams had to have all of their members board without rocking the boat to the ground.

Another activity asked teachers to trust one another in deliberate ways, such as a trust fall or where one teacher had to close their eyes and be directed by another teacher who could see.

Other activities included small obstacle courses where teams had to navigate obstacles collectively or face starting over. It was important to work together in all activities through encouragement as well as physically helping one another.

According to Ski Roundtop, “team building participants are all working together to complete [these] challenges.  That helps to reinforce their ability to work with a diverse group of people.  Groups are given parameters to complete the different low course elements and must devise a plan, divide tasks, and make adjustments as they go.”

Appleby believes she had this experience, stating: “doing the low ropes course with my quad and the other quad was my favorite part because we had to accomplish tasks together that made us get to know each other on a deeper level.”

After those initial group activities, teachers had the opportunity to take part in the high ropes courses, which included various activities. To participate in any of these activities teachers had to wear a helmet and harness for safety purposes.

The most popular activity was the zip line; teachers had to climb a 35 foot high cargo net to ring a bell then climb onto the platform of the zip line. From there, teachers could choose to sit and slide off the platform or step off of it.

Musical director James Craley said, “The trip was awesome.  I enjoyed getting to know some of our new staff, and with the zip line – instead of sitting and sliding off – I stepped off the platform, which had a little bit of a fear factor for me.”

The average of 35 foot height of these events made some faculty quite nervous to participate, while others enjoyed the challenge.

“It was so much fun watching my colleagues overcome their fears and try something new,” Baldwin said.

Other events teachers could take part in were the 35 foot high rock wall, or the “Burmese Bridge”. This event allowed individuals to almost tightrope walk while balancing using two wires as support on either side.

“I enjoyed seeing each KDHS team memb

er challenge them self in a way that required them to step out of their ‘safe zone.’  Whether it was the low obstacle course or team challenge; or the high ropes where someone may have faced a fear.  I think we all witnessed KDHS greatness that day,” Assistant Principal Chad Brindle said.

After the events of the day, Chartwells provided lunch for the faculty.

Teachers and administrators alike enjoyed the day and the opportunity to build relationships among each other.

“I found the trip to be one of the most fun and effective professional development days I have been a part of here at KD. I felt like I really got to know some members of our staff in a completely new way because of the way were able to have fun and work as a team,” Appleby said.