Alliance Hosts Ally Week

More stories from Autumn Smith

Alliance participated in a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, plus (LGBT+) awareness event called Ally Week from September 25 to 29 to raise money and awareness for their club.

Alliance is an inclusive group to help support both LGBT+ students and their straight allies. Club advisor Jenna Ritter created Alliance to help create a safe environment for LGBT+ students by providing guidance and promoting tolerance in our school.

Alliance club member Haley Seiler said, “Alliance is a club where LGBT+ students and straight allies can go to safely be themselves and make new friends.”

Seiler joined the club two years ago and has loved every minute of it. When asked why they joined alliance, they responded: “I’m part of the LGBT+ community and wanted a chance to meet others like me.”

Alliance participated in Ally Week by selling buttons and stickers during lunches to raise money for their club.

Ally Week is a national event that encourages students to be allies with LGBT+ students by standing against bullying.the Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network (GLSEN) created the event to help remind LGBT+ students that they have a support system.

“Ally Week is, at it’s core, a week for people who consider themself to be an ally and supporter for those in the LGBT+ community. It isn’t exclusively for straight people, though–for instance a gay person could consider themself to be an ally for bisexual people and a person whose sex aligns with their gender can consider themself to be an ally of non-binary people,”  said Alliance club president Rae Clayton.

Alliance had pledge papers available for straight students that wanted to make LGBT+ students aware that they had friends within the school. There were papers of all colors that read “I AM AN ALLY” with a line underneath to put one’s name.

Alliance, through selling handmade buttons, stickers, and rainbow bracelets that read “JUDGEMENT FREE,” raised $52.50.

“I think we should donate some [of the money] to charities, and use some to go on trips like the diversity summit to help us further our knowledge of the LGBT+ community,” said Seiler about what they believe the club should do with the raised money.

According to Ritter, the majority of the money will be used to fund a field trip in the spring to the Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) Summit at Dickinson college.

The students of the school weren’t as involved in Ally Week as the club had hoped.

“Unfortunately, this year we didn’t have as much participation as I would have hoped we would–but this was likely due to our lack of promotion for the event. I believe that those who do continue to participate over the years do so with reverence and pride in their allyship, which I am eternally grateful for,” said Clayton.

Ally Week is not the only LGBT+ event that Alliance participates in. The club is also involved in LGBT+ history month in October, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) day in October, Transgender Awareness Week in November, and the Day of Silence in April.

On the topic of other events Alliance participates in, Clayton said, “We participate in the Day of Silence, which is a day that students and staff can sign up to participate by not speaking for the day. It brings awareness to the silencing effects LGBT+ people face every day with bullying, name-calling, harassment, being in the closet, and generally unsafe environments.”

Alliance also participates in various school events. The club plans to participate in the Aevidum Trick or Treat night on October 25.

Alliance also organizes an event called Sweets for Your Sweetheart in February selling different treats similar to candy grams for students to buy for others. This event raises money for the Sunshine Fund, a fund that is used to help meet the needs of students.