Keystone Resolution

Sarah Gross, Reporter

On March 19,  Pennsylvania’s then-Secretary of Education Pedro Rivera cancelled the administration of the Keystone Exams in response to COVID-19 efforts. The Keystone Exams were for students in Algebra I, English 10 and Biology.

In a quote from “PA Media.gov” Rivera said, “Our school communities are operating within unprecedented conditions. Schools are making extraordinary efforts to remain connected to students and families, to provide food service and to put appropriate systems in place to continue student learning. Assessments should not be the focus of school leaders right now.”

On September 17, The South Eastern School District Board of Directors approved the Keystone Resolution to opt out of the 2020 Spring Keystones and waive the graduation requirement associated with the Keystones.

Those students who took a class necessary for Keystone Exams during the 2019-2020 school year are exempt.

The Pennsylvania Department of Education did advise local education agencies to offer exam make-up opportunities for students who wish to take the exams for individual purposes. The district will provide students who want to take the Keystones a make-up opportunity during December 1-15.

Any students that are enrolled in a Keystone course for this school year will be required to take the exam.

Teachers believe that this was the best solution to the educational disruption that occurred due to the pandemic.

“There isn’t really a great alternative right now, anyway. Cancelling the Keystones kept it fair and equitable for students, across all levels, throughout the state,” said biology teacher Robert Bushman.

Other teachers who are responsible for teaching classes in preparation for the Keystones agree.

“To try to devise a schedule to accommodate for students who missed testing last year while we also have a significant number of students currently working virtually would put unnecessary strain on an already strained system,” said English teacher Grant Leonard.

For teachers in both subjects their curriculum was not affected by the cancellation of Keystones.

“No.  Since the curriculum is set more by the State Standards then the Keystone the curriculum is and material is more determined from those standards than anything else.  Keystone is bred from the Standards and so is the curriculum.” said Robert Bushman.

Students agree with their teachers and are pleased not to be tested. Senior Nikki Hill said, “I feel fantastic that the Keystones were cancelled. I thought they were going to be very difficult.”