Mini MiniTHON To Occur on Saturday

MiniTHON will be a little different this year due to the coronavirus and the cancellation of last year’s MiniTHON.

The event will take place on the turf field June 5 and will feature a variety of different activities that show respect to the current world health situation, while also still offering an experience similar to what students have been accustomed to in the past.

These events include: volleyball, badminton, cornhole, kinball, relay races, along with a guest speaker.

A “Mini” MiniTHON seems to be the new title as those in charge of the event will attempt to recreate the success seen year in and year out, while also working around the current world health situation.

One such example of the “mini” size of it is that there is a 150 person limit of those who can attend, and advisor Grant Leonard noted that seniors will be accommodated first.

The event will be beach themed as planned last year, but it will last from 7 p.m. to10 p.m. instead of the all-nighter students are used to. Advisor Grant Leonard and school administration decided to make this change to accommodate for the curfew of student drivers, as well as being able to catch the sunset and night time feeling.

Those interested in participating have to purchase a ticket for $10. This gains them admission and a free T-shirt. The organization encourages students to raise additional funds through donations from family and friends.

All proceeds will still go to the Four Diamonds organization and assist in the battle to combat childhood cancer.

There were also be awards for the student who raises the most money in donations and for the student who is most “festive” in their beach attire.

When I asked why students should participate, Leonard said “This is a great cause–all the money we make goes to support research and treatment for families dealing with a childhood cancer diagnosis. It’s also one of the few things we can do this year together that will be fun and communal in what has been a terribly difficult year for obvious reasons.”

If you are interested in donating, please visit the following website: https://www.fourdiamonds.org