Remember the Troops, Sponsor a Soldier

Varsity club advisor Amy Fisher recently started a Remember the Troops project, meant for sponsoring soldiers stationed overseas.

Those who choose to participate receive a box to fill that will be sent out to the soldier.

Fisher said she got the idea from a weekly newsletter from Dallastown High School. She had thought about it last year, but when the idea came back up again this year, she decided to act upon it.

Fisher currently works on the project alone, but she hopes to get the Varsity Club involved, due to her being their advisor.

Many students here enlist in some branch of the military. Fisher mentioned she already had a list of at least ten – 15 recently graduated students who enlisted.

In an email sent out to staff, Fisher explained that she’ll give boxes to any teachers who agree to sponsor a soldier.

Teachers fill these boxes with items for said soldier.

Fisher suggests that the box can be filled with the help of students, or shared amongst multiple teachers, classrooms, departments, or extracurricular groups.

“Because of it being the first year, I just kept it here at KD,” Fisher said.

She mentioned she hopes to branch it out to the other schools in the district and make this an annual project.

Fisher said, “a couple teachers have stepped up to say they would sponsor people,” and suggests that this might be due to previously having these soldiers in class.

But, even with the teachers who have stepped up, Fisher believes she has more soldiers than sponsors.

Fisher says she plans to send out packages in July.

Students wishing to participate should talk to their homeroom teacher about sponsoring as a class, and teachers wishing to participate should contact Fisher.

There are a variety of items Fisher suggested teachers or students could include in their box.

Some include:

Letters,  white socks, white v-neck t-shirts, soft blanket throws, beef jerky, mints, gum, coffee in individual serving pouches, cookies, dry drink mixes, cookies, Hershey’s candy, licorice, gummy bears, swedish fish, deflated sports balls, frisbees, sports activities, board games, CDs, and DVDs.

Any names of soldiers to be sponsored can be sent to Fisher to be added to the list.