N.A.H.S. Students Visit H.A.C.C. to Learn More About Art Careers

Photo by: Erin Bastian

On November 3, National Art Honors Society (N.A.H.S.) students went on a field trip to Harrisburg Area Community College (H.A.C.C.) York campus in order to learn about their collegiate options in the art field.

“Students learned that dual enrollment in high school is possible in the H.A.C.C. art program; summer courses are available; able to get an AA in art and then transfer their junior year to another school for art. It was a great experience to see what it would truly be like to go to college for art and what type of courses exist at the college level for different art careers,” N.A.H.S. Adviser Erin Bastian said.

While there,  N.A.H.S. students attended either a workshop or college course, such as: ceramics, jewelry, digital art, and drawing.

Those who participated in the digital art course explored Adobe software programs to create art.

In the ceramic course, students were able to create pottery using pottery wheels and then glazing their creations. When the pottery has gone through the last stage, “firing”, students will get their creations back.

Students that participated in the jewelry course were able to make cuff bracelets, keychain projects, or copper earrings, and taught patina and embossing processes of metal.

“I chose the jewelry workshop because this is a skill in which I’m lacking. I tend to like art styles in which it is easy to fix a mistake. With jewelry since it is a 3d object and you have to start all over once you make a mistake. I thought this would be a good class to take because I find it very important to be diverse with your art skills. The more diverse you are the better you have a chance of making it in the real world,” N.A.H.S treasurer Natalie Bradley said.

However, students that participated in the drawing course worked in an actual course in H.A.C.C. and drew gestural drawings from a live model.

“I chose the drawing workshop because it is my best skill in art, and I wanted to see what an actual class in this would be like if I were to major in this for college” said Bradley.

While Bradley said she chose her course, three other students that attended the field trip said that they didn’t choose what course or workshop that they participated in.

The event organizer entered senior Isabelle “Izzy” Masquelier into the pottery and digital art workshops, the organizer placed sophomore Alyssa Davis in the drawing workshop, and the organizer assigned senior Makayla Phoebus to the ceramic and digital art workshops.

“My favorite part of the field trip was the drawing workshop because the instructor was very encouraging, and although I definitely wasn’t the best artist in the room, everyone else made me feel talented,” Davis said about her favorite part of the field trip.

Bradley said she really enjoyed the field trip because it helped to improve her skills. It also helped her see an art course at a college and see options for taking college courses.

Also, Bradley felt that the field trip helped N.A.H.S. become more connected.

Masquelier said her favorite part was the pottery course because it was something new and fun to do. Phoebus said, “My favorite was the ceramics. It was extremely therapeutic for me and I would love to continue doing it!”